Final call for papers for the 2nd IEEE workshop on Big Humanities Data (submission deadline 30 August):
The 2nd IEEE workshop on Big Humanities Data will be held on 27 October 2014, in conjunction with the IEEE International Conference on Big Data (IEEE BigData 2014), which takes place between October 27-30, 2014 in Washington DC, USA. The workshop will address applications of “big data” in the humanities, arts, culture, and social science, and the challenges and possibilities that such increased scale brings for scholarship in these areas.
Full papers, of up to 9 pages, should be submitted via the conference online submission system. We also encourage submission of short papers (up to 4 pages) reporting work in progress. The submission deadline is August 30, 2014. All papers accepted will be included in the proceedings published by the IEEE Computer Society Press, which will be made available at the conference.
Topics covered by the workshop include, but are not restricted to, the following:
· Text- and data-mining of historical and archival material.
· Social media analysis, including sentiment analysis
· New research objects for humanities analysis such as digital music, film
· Cultural analytics
· Social analytics
· Crowdsourcing and big data
· Cyber-infrastructures for the humanities (for instance, cloud computing)
· NoSQL databases and their applications in the humanities
· Big data and the construction of memory and identity
· Big data and archival practice
· Corpora and collections of big data
· Linked Data and Big Data
· Constructing big data for research in the humanities
For more information, see the workshop website at http://bighumanities.net/events/ieee-bigdata-oct-2014/, and the main conference website at http://cci.drexel.edu/bigdata/bigdata2014/. To browse last year’s October 2013 workshop program, see: http://bighumanities.net/events/ieee-bigdata-2013/workshop-program/
· Workshop Location: Hyatt Regency Bethesda, Bethesda, Maryland 20814, USA
· Dates for the IEEE BigData 2014 Conference: October 27 to October 30, 2014
· Workshop Schedule: To be announced, but it will be a day-long workshop on Oct. 27, 2014
· Total Conference Registration Fees for non-IEEE members: $780, if registered by October 5, $996 after October 5
· One-day conference registration fees (if only attending the workshop): $300